Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Talk is Cheap

And so should making flics be. We just wrapped a two-day shoot on a short flic sequel. Yeah, it's a sequel. In fact, the project will be a trilogy once we're finished.

The project started last year when my buddy and I formed our production company (in name only, so far) and decided that "if we're going to make movies, then we'd better get out there and do it!" We both wrote scripts and actually got excited to do one I'd written. But due to location difficulties we went with one of his.

We had a script. All we needed was equipment, actors, locations, and time. Hmm, did you see money in there anywhere? Nope. In reality, the two shorts have so far cost us about $30 bucks. The expenses being, a couple of cafe mocha's ($8), four Sony DVC tapes ($17), and one parking space ($6.50). How much is that? Oh, $31.50! And, uh, stretch that over a year's time.

How'd we do it? Let's go down the list starting with equipment. Here's what we used: Canon XL2 digital camera, lights, boom mic, cables. $0 dollars. Remember in a previous blog I stated to check with your local broadcasting channel? Ours loans equipment for FREE. There is a catch (always). We have to let them BROADCAST what we film!--I suppose I should tell you how I arranged it. I had been listening to many podcasts on flic making, many commentaries, etc. Training myself, basically. When I went in to talk about the equipment, I (at the very least) sounded like I knew what I was doing. I talked the talk. Another thing. I'm an older guy, and care about my appearance somewhat. So my maturity level probably showed through a little. If your a young flic maker and you plan on talking to older, adults about that kind of stuff, be mature about it. You don't have to dress up, but don't go in there all dirty, draggin' your skateboard.

Second was actors. We used people we knew. It just so happened that these people all want to write or act or something in the industry...or maybe they just liked movies. When you decide who your actors are going to be, my only real suggestion is, make sure they can act (at least a little). Or if they can be "directed". That will help you out as well. Okay, and obviously, work for free. Let them know up front that there's no money in it. Let them know it's for fun but also you plan to enter it into a film festival or some contest. That, in turn, gives them incentive to do it and do it well.

Locations, tricky. Our first short was cut short due to location. But for our second, we actually filmed at a major airport. I'm not 100% sure how he did it but I think it was along the lines of just calling and asking the right person. Explaining what our plan was and how many would be involved. It may have been different if we'd planned a huge action sequence, or simply running through the airport. So use your judgement. You pretty much know what you can and can not get away with. Then we used a coffee shop I'd been going to awhile and had been friendly with. Oh, and I promised them a free commercial. It helps to have something to offer, especially a small business.

On this most recent shoot we were in a public place, a ferry terminal to be exact, outside. We have a minimal crew and one cam, not alot of setup. So no one bothered us. It also worked out if people were staring since the story involved a popular actor out in public. How else would people act?! And our final location was an empty parking garage (for the torture scene, no less). It's a comedy, so there wasn't real torture. But this is where we paid for one parking stall just in case we were going to get hassled by security. Well, we didn't. In fact, I can't believe how empty it stayed for the 4 hours we were there. Hm, pick a Sunday evening to shoot there! That's probably why.

Time was probably the hardest, especially for our lead actor who lived out of town. I had to call in sick. So, I suppose it cost me a days pay...ouch! But damn! How therapeutic!! I won't miss it.

And that's it, a two part movie for $30 bucks. As an idie using digital, your biggest expenses will be your tapes and time. So get out there and start making it happen. You'll be glad you did

Keep writing, keep fliccing!

No comments: