Sunday, May 18, 2008

"Never give up, never surrender!"

...is a quote from the movie "Galaxy Quest." It is a favorite of mine. In fact, no, literally fact, I had been working on a short story that when "Galaxy Quest" came out, it could have been from the story I was writing. Mainly, the plot - guy gets abducted by aliens to help save their world. It's been a long time since, but another I can think of is I had written Sigourney Weaver's name into a line of the story...she wind's up in "Galaxy Quest!"

The point is, I haven't written in quite awhile. Nothing serious anyway. Does it matter? Not really. Though you always want to be honing your craft by writing - there's no better way. But, remember the outline I gave you on the last post? I dove back into that one and I'm off and running. During the past week, I've written 19 pages of script! Things just seem to be falling into place.

By a random chain of events, I visited a friends MySpace page, whom I rarely visit. At the bottom was a link looking for screenwriters. I'm as skeptical as the next guy, but I felt it odd that it was there (I know, cookies, blah, blah, blah; work with me here!) Long story short, I clicked it. It took me to a site that WASN'T full of hype, ad copy-type marketing or anything. It looked very professional. So I queried them to see what kind of response I'd get.

Like they said, 3 days later, I get an email saying they're interested in seeing (the particular screenplay I queried). As with any reputable agent/agency, they are not asking for money. Any real agent will only get paid if you get paid! Based on the information and professionalism from their email, I emailed them a copy of my script today. It's registered with the WGA, so I don't have to worry about them stealing it. I presume to hear from them within another few days and I'll keep you updated about it.

One thing that caught my eye was them not asking for payment. Another was that it didn't have to be a perfect script. If they see potential, they'll work with a writer on that. (Which could be where they start asking for money; we'll see) But if they think there's potential in my script, offer some suggestions, and are willing to try to sell it after that - I'll be on that program!

Their website is www.screenplaywritersagency.com if you'd like to check them out. Feel free to comment about them and/or point out things I missed - good or bad. If this agency is legit, we'll let people know, if not, we'll let people know!

Keep writing!


No comments: